On Saturday, former President Donald Trump issued a statement in which he blamed Hamas’ attack on Israel on US public cash.
At dawn on Saturday, Hamas launched an unprecedented multi-front offensive on Israel. According to the Associated Press, Hamas fired thousands of rockets as dozens of Hamas fighters crossed the heavily defended border by air, land, and water. According to the Associated Press, the attack killed hundreds of people on both sides and drew international condemnation. The attack is one of the conflict’s most crucial escalation in recent years.
The former president blamed the attack on “American taxpayer dollars” in a message posted on Truth Social, his social media platform, on Saturday morning. “These Hamas attacks are a disgrace,” he added, “and Israel has every right to defend itself with overwhelming force.” Unfortunately, American taxpayer monies were used to fund these attacks, which many publications attribute to the Biden administration. We brought so much peace to the Middle East with the Abraham Accords, only to have Biden erode it at a far faster rate than anyone imagined imaginable. We’re at it again.”
In 2021, the Biden administration restarted Palestinian aid, providing $235 million at the time. However, critics have warned that restoring the aid could strengthen Hamas’ operations, a sentiment shared by Trump. President Joe Biden has also faced criticism over a deal with Iran that saw US captives released in exchange for the transfer of $6 billion in frozen Iranian funds from South Korea to Qatar.
Biden, on the other hand, has maintained funding for Israel, the US’s long-standing Middle Eastern partner. Last year, he signed legislation that granted the country with $3.8 billion in funds. According to a Congressional Research Center report, Congress also budgeted $520 million for collaborative US-Israel defense programs in 2023.
Meanwhile, members of the Biden administration condemned the attack.
“We unequivocally condemn Hamas terrorists’ heinous attacks on Israel.” In a statement, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, “We stand in solidarity with the government and people of Israel, and we express our condolences for the Israeli lives lost in these attacks.”
“I am closely monitoring developments in Israel,” said Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin in a statement. Our support for Israel’s right to self-defense remains steadfast, and I send my condolences to the families of those killed in this heinous attack on civilians. The Department of Defense will work in the coming days to guarantee that Israel has everything it needs to defend itself and protect civilians from indiscriminate violence and terrorism.”
In a post to X, the social media network formerly known as Twitter, White House National Security Council spokesman Adrienne Watson also replied to criticism of the Iran deal.
“Due to the Hatch Act, I am unable to comment on 2024.” “However, I can clarify the facts: not a single cent from these funds has been spent, and when it is, it can only be spent on things like food and medicine for the Iranian people,” she added. “These funds have absolutely nothing to do with the horrific attacks today and this is not the time to spread disinformation.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that “we are at war” during a speech ordering a widespread army mobilization, warning that Hamas will pay a “unprecedented price,” according to the Associated Press.
“Not an’operation,’ not a’round,’ but at war,” Netanyahu explained.
The Israeli military said in a statement posted to X that it had launched air attacks into Gaza, adding, “This morning, approximately 2,200 rockets were launched from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory.” At the same time, a number of terrorists penetrated Israeli territory in southern Israel. The IDF has responded by launching Operation ‘Swords of Iron.'”