Some say that Donald Trump’s lawyers were trying to get around the rules set by a judge so that they wouldn’t have to argue that the former president didn’t rape writer E. Jean Carroll in the upcoming defamation civil trial.
According to the accusation, Trump slandered the former Elle columnist while denying that he raped her in a New York department store in the 1990s. In 2019, he said, “She’s not my type.” Carroll’s lawyer, Roberta Kaplan, said that Trump’s lawyers were trying to bring up evidence in the civil trial that could change Carroll’s story or make it look like she was not a reliable witness, which was against Judge Kaplan’s decisions.
Kapplan said that they met with Trump’s team to talk about the evidence they plan to use in the trial. It was clear right away that Trump wants to get around the Court’s recent decisions so that he can show the jury evidence that is not only irrelevant and unfairly prejudicial but also clearly goes against what Judge Kaplan said in his January 9 decision.
In a 2019 interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Carroll said, “Most people think of rape as sexy.” This includes playing back clips of that interview. The lawyers for Carroll stated that they would use the interview to “discredit” her story of the attack.
Also, Trump’s lawyers are planning to call Carol Martin back to the stand. Martin previously testified in the sexual battery trial that the former Elle columnist told her about the attack soon after it happened. Kaplan stated that Trump’s lawyers plan to inquire about Martin’s perception of Carroll’s demeanor and whether she experienced any positive response following her disclosure of the assault.
Judge Kaplan already said that Trump’s comments about Carroll in 2019 were slanderous. The next civil trial will decide how much Trump needs to pay Carroll in damages.